TASC is an independent think-tank dedicated to addressing Ireland’s high level of economic inequality and ensuring that public policy has equality at its core.
Economic inequality is not confined to income inequality, but exists across many areas of the economy - for example, asset ownership, wealth, taxation, health, housing and education. Thus, fighting economic inequality is about ensuring that economic interests are rendered subordinate to the common good in areas such as education, health and welfare. It is also about redistributing risk, wealth and power. This, in turn, requires increased accountability and transparency at all levels.
The primary focus of TASC’s current work is to identify solutions to the present economic crisis aimed at achieving recovery with equality.
We are doing this in a number of ways:
- Identifying and analysing existing public policies and practices of public institutions which contribute to inequality
- Researching and developing policy solutions that offer efficient alternatives which promote equality.
- Researching and developing policy solutions that contribute to more accountable and transparent public decision making.
- Working to create a new economic model which marries economic wellbeing with ecological sustainability.
- Broadening public awareness of the case for equality by publishing research and analytic material on equality and related issues, holding public events and by monitoring public opinion.
How we work
Our policy development work and research data come from a number of sources.
The TASC policy team conducts in-house research and analysis. We have a broad-based advisory council who assist us in determining our work programme. We also work with a network of economists and social scientists in Ireland who retain their academic base. Internationally, we are part of a network of progressive think tanks who share policy insights and research data. We also work in partnership with other organisations - national and international - which share TASC’s aim of creating a more equal society.
TASC is a registered charity, is structured as a not-for-profit limited company and is governed by a board of Non-Executive Directors.